Linphone is an open source application using SIP. Since it was launched in 2001, it has become very popular, especially within the open source community.
This article guides you on how to configure this softphone for making and receiving calls over the internet through a next generation carrier like Telnyx!
You'll need to have created a Credentials based connection on your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account, assigned this connection to a DID and outbound profile in order to make and receive calls.
Linphone’s latest version is available to be downloaded here.
You can view the installation guide here.
Coming soon! This walkthrough will demonstrate setting up an IP based connection with Linphone. We'll also show you how to assign this connection to a newly purchased DID which will allow you to receive inbound calls. Then we'll walk you through how to assign the connection to an outbound profile such that you can make outbound calls!
Step by Step Guide
CONFIGURING YOUR TELNYX MISSION CONTROL PORTAL
- Visit the NUMBERS page via the navigation menu on the left-hand side.
- Select the SEARCH NUMBERS tab.
- Select your search type: (NPA-NXX, Region, Toll Free or Advanced).
- Input your search criteria and click SEARCH.
- Results will display below.
- Click "+ ADD TO CART" to select the number(s) you'd like to purchase.
- Click on the Shopping Cart to view your selected numbers and check out.
- Once purchased, your numbers will be visible on the "My Numbers" tab within the NUMBERS page.
- Visit the SIP Connections page via the navigation menu on the left hand side.
- Click the "Add SIP Connection" button (located towards the top right corner).
- Input a name for the connection.
- Select "IP Address" for your Authentication Method and input the IP Address of your Linphone instance.
- Click the "CREATE" button to finish creating your connection.
Provision Your Number: (assign to a connection)
- Go back to the NUMBERS page via the navigation menu on the left hand side.
- Select the MY NUMBERS tab (you may have defaulted to this already).
- Click the "Select Connection" drop-down next to your number. You should see the connection you just created - select it.
- Your number is now all set on the portal.
- Visit the OUTBOUND section via the navigation menu on the left hand side.
- Click the "+ ADD OUTBOUND PROFILE" button (located towards the top right corner).
- Select the connection you created via the "Select Connection" drop-down.
- Choose the "Traffic Type" and "Service Plan" that meets your needs.
- Click "ADD".
- You are now setup for outbound calling on the portal.
You are now all set on the Mission Control Portal side and are ready to configure your Telnyx trunk within your Linphone system.
CONFIGURING YOUR Linphone
1-: Run the setup wizard when the application starts up or you can run it manually by “Options > Preferences/Settings > Manage Sip Accounts > + Wizard”
2- Select “I have a sip account and I just want to use it”
3- Fill in the following fields:
Username: [The Auth username for the SIP Connection in the Portal]
Password: [The Auth password for the SIP Connection in the Portal]
4- Click Apply
5- Go back to the main window and select the new connection from the “My current identity” box.
That's it, you've now completed the configuration of Linphone and can now make and receive calls by using Telnyx as your SIP provider!
Review our getting started with guide to make sure your Telnyx Mission Control Portal account is setup correctly!
Checkout Linphone's help section for extra support!
Can't find what you're looking for?
Our knowledge base is currently undergoing a makeover which will include more up to date videos to match our ever growing platform!
Can't find what you're looking for? Click the chat bubble at your lower right hand corner and start a chat!